Integrative Dissertation ProSem
What Is It, and Why Take Part?
Comprised of three intensive writing and research immersions (August, January, and May); seven interdisciplinary seminars with faculty experts on topics pertaining to writing and publishing; integrated writing support mechanisms; and social gatherings designed to build intellectual community, the ProSem begins with a five-day boot camp on July 31, 2017 and concludes with a colloquium in May 2018.
The ProSem begins with a five-day boot camp on July 31, 2017 and concludes with a Colloquium in May of 2018.
Intensive Writing and Research Immersions
- 5 Day Summer Bootcamp July 31 – August 5, 2017
- 3 Day Winter Writing Retreat – January 2018
- 1 Day Spring Colloquium – May 2018
Integrative Seminars with Faculty Experts (12:00 p.m. to 1:15 p.m.) September through April;
- Setting Boundaries for Writing Time
- Juggling Priorities
- Harnessing Wellness Habits for Success
- Perspectives on Publishing
- Proactive Committee Engagement
- Peer Review and Collegiality
- Co-writing and Research Statements
- Priority access to a Writing Center Consultation for each participant
- Individual Consultations with Subject Librarians
- Peer Writing Accountability Groups
- Earn one Grad School credit per semester
Intellectual Community (7:00 to 8:30 p.m.) Monthly September to April
- Monthly Evening Gatherings to Foster Social Engagement and Build Community
- Dissertation Defense Support
Eligibility and Expectations
- Qualifying applicants are Ph.D. students who have successfully defended their dissertation proposal at the time of the application or are on track to do so by December 2017.
- Applicants and participants must be in good academic standing and demonstrate Advisor’s support.
- Attendance is expected at all meetings. Consult your schedule, and if there are dates or time periods that will not fit in your schedule, please note this, and the reason in your application letter. The application process will take this into account and make an effort to accommodate eligible students whose obligations require periods away from campus.
An overview of the 2017-18 time commitment is provided here:
- July 31, August 1, August 2, August 3, August 4, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day;
- Monthly integrative seminar luncheons (12:00 p.m. to 1:15 p.m.) September through April;
- Monthly evening community gatherings (7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.) August through April;
- Three-day writing retreat in early January and one-day colloquium in May.
Submitting an Application
Applications are due Monday, May 22, 2017; Applicants notified by Friday, June 16, 2017.
- To apply, digitally submit the following documents to the Integrative Dissertation ProSem Form.
- Contact and program information form;
- A letter of interest that describes your research topic and program, why you are interested in the ProSem, and your prior experience in writing and research seminars or peer groups;
- A statement from your advisor saying that he or she would support your participation in this program (email is acceptable); and
- A current resume or CV.