On the Web
- GRE General Test
- GRE Subject Test strongly recommended
- TOEFL or IELTS for non-native speakers of English
- A writing sample of no more than 15 pages, preferably a critical literary essay
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of intent
- Three letters of recommendation
- Fall: January 2
The Graduate Program in English is a highly selective program in which students specialize in historical areas but also pursue interdisciplinary perspectives, with particular interest in critical theory, literature and science, literature and politics, postcolonial and ethnic studies, and gender studies. A nearly 1:1 faculty to graduate student ratio ensures that students receive considerable individual attention as they progress in their course of studies. Read more about graduate studies in English at Notre Dame.
Related Programs and Institutes
- Gender Studies
- Institute for the Study of Religion and Culture in Africa and the African Diaspora
- Keough-Naughton Institute for Irish Studies
- Latino Studies
- Medieval Institute
- Ph.D. in Literature Program
Director of Graduate Studies
Telephone: (574) 631-2569
Fax: (574) 631-4795
Cost of Living
The South Bend, Ind. area provides many amenities but one of the lowest cost-of-living rates of any major research university in the country. Learn more.
Prof. Doody is an expert on Restoration and 18th-century British literature, particularly the work of Richardson, Burney, Swift, and Jane Austen. Learn more.
Lauren Rich’s research focuses on the complex relationship between food, community and literature. Read More