On the Web
- GRE General Test
- TOEFL or IELTS for non-native speakers of English
- A writing sample demonstrating skills in writing, analysis, and historical research is required. See the program website for more details.
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of intent
- Three letters of recommendation
- Fall: January 4
The doctoral program in History is a multidimensional program with exceptional strengths in European, Latin American, Medieval, and United States history. One of the nation’s leading recipients of major research fellowships, the department’s faculty numbers over 40 and supports graduate work within and between these fields. Affiliated programs are in Peace Studies and the History and Philosophy of Science. The program emphasizes training in research, writing, and teaching and, given its emphasis on training academic historians, addresses the ethics, values, obligations, traditions, philosophies, and skills critical to the academic profession. Read more about graduate studies in History at Notre Dame.
- Ph.D. Program in the History and Philosophy of Science
- Ph.D. Program in Peace Studies
- Gender Studies Program
- Institute for Latino Studies
- Kellogg Institute for International Studies
- Keough-Naughton Institute for Irish Studies
- Medieval Institute
- Nanovic Institute for European Studies
- Reilly Center for the Study of Science, Technology & Values
Director of Graduate Studies
Telephone: (574) 631-5905
Fax: (574) 631-4717
Cost of Living
The South Bend, Ind. area provides many amenities but one of the lowest cost-of-living rates of any major research university in the country. Learn more.