Questions to Ask: Industry, Government, and Non-Profit
Possible Questions to Ask Hiring Managers
You should be asking questions during your interview, especially during those moments when an interviewer asks the inevitable, “Do you have any questions for us?” Prepare a few questions in advance. Take advantage of your opportunity to learn more about the position, and ask questions that will help you determine if it will be a good “fit” for you should you receive an offer.
- How would you describe your company’s culture? What have you found surprising?
- Why do you enjoy working for Company ABC?
- What type of professional development does your organization offer to employees to continue their learning and growth?
- What are the top 3 priorities you would like to see accomplished after filling this position?
- How would you describe or how have others described your leadership and/or communication style?
- After having a chance to review my credentials and clarify any questions, what reservations (if any) do you have in putting me into the role?
- How soon do you expect to make a decision?
Possible Questions to Ask About the Team
- How is the department organized?
- What are the near term goals of the department?
- What is the make-up of the current team and what is their experience?
- What can I bring &8212; in terms of personality and experience &8212; that would round out the current team?
- What are the current challenges that the team is facing in order to deliver on their objectives?
Possible Questions to Ask About the Position
- Can you tell me more about how the position interfaces with others in the department?
- What are the characteristics of a successful person at your company?
- Describe a typical day for someone in this position.
- Can you describe a typical first year assignment?
- What do you see as being the greatest challenges of this position?
- What responsibilities have the highest priority?
- What is a typical career path at your company for someone in this role?
- In what ways is a career with your company better than one with your competitors?
- How are individual careers managed? Will I have input into the process concerning my corporate growth? How will success be measured in the role? How will you know it when you see it?