On the Web
Applicants are admitted primarily to the Ph.D. program.
- GRE General Test
- GRE Subject Test
- TOEFL or IELTS for non-native speakers of English
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of intent
- Three letters of recommendation
- Fall: January 15
Physics graduate students are actively involved in both experimental and theoretical studies in areas including astro-, atomic, bio-, condensed-matter, high-energy, and nuclear physics. They search for answers to questions such as: What is dark matter? Can we understand the birth or death of stars at the nuclear level? Can we create new materials with new properties? What can network science say about our world? What is the origin of mass? Read more about graduate studies in Physics at Notre Dame.
- Nuclear Science Laboratory
- The Molecular Beam Epitaxy of Semiconductor Nanostructures
- Facilities for Optical Studies of Solids
- Gamma Ray Astrophysics at Notre Dame, GRAND
- Physics Machine Shop
The Physics department also has has a number of research collaborations.
Director of Graduate Studies
Telephone: (574) 631-2813
Fax: (574) 631-5952
Cost of Living
The South Bend, Ind. area provides many amenities but one of the lowest cost-of-living rates of any major research university in the country. Learn more.