We encourage you to become active grant writers, seeking out and applying for appropriate fellowships and external grants throughout your graduate career. There are a number of resources available to assist you in finding, writing and submitting grant and fellowship applications. Good luck!
- Gretchen Busl, the Associate Program Director of Grants and Fellowships, is the central point of contact for all students in the Graduate School applying for external grants and fellowships. She provides both individual consultation services and university-wide programs to support students in the application process. Her advisory capacity includes guidance in defining research goals at various stages of the graduate programs, assistance in locating and applying for funding opportunities, strategies for efficiently articulating personal and professional goals in proposal statements, feedback on drafts of application materials, and advice for working effectively with faculty during the application process. (631-2443)
- Students applying for institutional awards, such as the NSF Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grant, should contact the Office of Research to set up the routing procedure. The Office of Research is also an excellent resource for creating data management plans and grant budgets.
Internal Funding Opportunities
A number of institutes and centers on campus offer funding for graduate students to pursue additional professional development activities. The Graduate School itself maintains Professional Development Funds which can be used to support a number of activities, including conference presentations, training, and research travel.
External Funding Opportunities
Resources Maintained by ND Offices
- The Graduate School maintains the Graduate Fellowship Database , which contains over 500 external opportunities including short-term research grants, dissertation research and completion fellowships, and multi-year awards.
Submitted Proposals and Applications
If you have applied for or have won funding from an external grant or fellowship, please let us know!
To create a Pivot profile:
- Go to pivot.cos.com
- Click on the “Signup” button on the upper left corner
- Fill in all the requested information and create your account
To search for funding opportunities:
- Log in to pivot.cos.com
- Click on “Search for Funding or Scholars”
- Click on the “Advanced Search” tab
- Click on “More Search Attributes”
- Click on “Requirements” and select “Graduate Students”
- Customize your search using your specific criteria
*Please also note that the “search” button on the bottom of the page is conveniently located next to the “clear fields” button.