Research & Funding
We encourage you to become active grant writers, seeking out and applying for appropriate fellowships and external grants throughout your graduate career. There are a number of resources available to assist you in finding, writing and submitting grant and fellowship applications. Good luck!
The associate program director for grants and fellowships is Mike Westrate. Students in all colleges who are actively working on applications should contact the Office of Grants and Fellowships via email to request a consultation: email@example.com.
Program Director, Grants and Fellowships
- Representative for External Fellowship Agencies
- Oversight and Coordination of Student Fellowships and Grants
- Assistance with University Grant Applications for Students
Students applying for institutional awards, such as the NSF Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grant, should contact the Office of Research to set up the routing procedure. The Office of Research is also an excellent resource for creating data management plans and grant budgets.
Internal Funding Opportunities
A number of institutes and centers on campus offer funding for graduate students to pursue additional professional development activities. The Graduate School itself maintains Professional Development Funds which can be used to support a number of activities, including conference presentations, training, and research travel.
- Graduate School Professional Development Grants for Arts & Letters Programs
- Graduate School Professional Development Grants for Science & Engineering Programs
- Other on-campus funding sources
External Funding Opportunities
These are the primary databases we recommend when searching for funding opportunities.
- PIVOT is the most comprehensive national database for all types of academic funding, and has recently expanded to provide opportunities for collaboration.
- The H-net Fellowships Listing is an excellent research for funding in the Humanities and Social Sciences.
These are additional helpful databases maintained by other institutions.
- GRAPES at UCLA (Graduate and Postdoctoral Extramural Support Database)
Submitted Proposals and Applications
If you have applied for or have won funding from an external grant or fellowship, please let us know!
- Enter funding apps and outcomes here in the Grants, Fellowships, and Awards section in Academic iNDex
To create a Pivot profile:
- Go to pivot.cos.com
- Click on the “Signup” button on the upper left corner
- Fill in all the requested information and create your account
To search for funding opportunities:
- Log in to pivot.cos.com
- Click on “Search for Funding or Scholars”
- Click on the “Advanced Search” tab
- Click on “More Search Attributes”
- Click on “Requirements” and select “Graduate Students”
- Customize your search using your specific criteria
*Please also note that the “search” button on the bottom of the page is conveniently located next to the “clear fields” button.