Resources for Newly Admitted Students
The Graduate Student Union publishes an annual guidebook for students who are new to the Notre Dame/South Bend area — check their New & Prospective Students page for the most current version. In addition to providing more information on some of the offices and checklist items below, it’s a great resource with tips on restaurants, transportation, services and recreation opportunities recommended by other graduate students.
Fall 2018 Orientation
Graduate Student Orientation will take place in mid August, before the official start of classes. A separate International Student Orientation will follow. Please check back in late May for verified dates.
Checklist for All Newly Admitted Students
- After receiving admission letter, return Acceptance/ Declination of Offer form.
- Receive confirmation e-mail.
After Receiving Your Confirmation E-Mail
- Activate your Notre Dame Net ID.
- Complete medical history and physical report and any other health-related pre-registration requirements set by University Health Services.
- Submit final official transcript showing conferral of all previous post-secondary degrees.
- Contact department and/or adviser.
After You Arrive
- Contact department.
- Complete I-9 Work Eligibility form (in department) immediately.
- Register and enroll (after consultation with department).
- Acquire Notre Dame Student ID Card.
- Acquire computer privileges by following the Get Started tab on the Office of Information Technologies (OIT) homepage.
- Acquire parking permit (read more at the Notre Dame Parking and Traffic homepage.
- Attend student orientations (Graduate School, departmental, international student).
Additional Items for International Students
Before You Arrive
- Please see the Office of International Student and Scholar Affairs website for the pre-arrival checklist.
- Complete information for visa documents section of the Acceptance/Declination of Offer form.
- Receive I-20 or DS-2019 visa documents (IMPORTANT: Visa documents will not be issued until students (1) accept the offer and (2) submit all requested information (i.e., Information for Visa Documents section of the Acceptance/Declination of Offer form, proof of financial support, etc.).
- Obtain visa, arrange transfer to “University of Notre Dame du Lac,” or file Change of Status request (as applicable).
After You Arrive
Please see the Office of International Student and Scholar Affairs website for updated information on international student orientation (mandatory for all F-1 and J-1 visa holders), and helpful resources for international students newly arrived to campus.