We welcome the diversity and the richness international students bring to our community.
Approximately 30 percent of our entering class of graduate students comes from abroad. We welcome the diversity and the richness international students bring to our community. Our commitment to international diversity is exemplified by a sizable number of foreign-born faculty and by recent agreements we have made with institutions in Ireland and Chile to increase the presence of international students at Notre Dame.
The requirements for admission for international students are exactly the same as those for United States citizens. Please note one important additional requirement: International students whose native language is not English must submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores to demonstrate language proficiency. Both tests are offered several times each year at sites in the United States and abroad; for those taking the TOEFL, the university’s institution code is: 1841.
- If you are taking the TOEFL IBT, then the minimum score is a total of 80 points, with a minimum of 23 on the Speaking section.
- If you are taking the IELTS, the minimum score is 7.0.
Some programs may require higher scores.
International students who intend to accept offers of admission should see Resources for Newly Admitted Students for further information on visas and employment authorization.
International students who accept an offer of admission from the Graduate School at the University of Notre Dame may be required to submit one of the following forms:
- If you are currently in the United States, you need to complete the “International Student Questionnaire and Transfer Eligibility Form” and upload to the Incoming International Students Section.
- If your admission letter does not provide support equal to or in excess of the cost of attendance figures listed by the Office of Financial Aid. You must provide proof of ability to support yourself using the International Certification of Finances Form. Upload this form to the Incoming International Students Section.
- If you are bringing dependents who are seeking to obtain an F-2 or J-2 dependent visa from the University of Notre Dame. You must provide proof of ability to support your dependents financially. You must be able to show assets of $550 per month for each dependent for the initial period of stipend support (if applicable) or otherwise for (9) months. You must also show evidence of ability to support dependents beyond the initial period. You must provide proof of ability to support your dependents using the Certification of Finances Form. Upload this form to the Incoming International Students Section.
The Incoming International Students Section is only available to students who have been formally admitted by the Graduate School of the University of Notre Dame.
For resources and assistance on immigration matters, and information on services and activities for international students, please contact:
Notre Dame International
105 Main Building
Notre Dame Indiana 46556
Fax: (574) 631-9698
International student services and activities: firstname.lastname@example.org or 574-631-3825
P.O. Box 6000
Princeton, NJ 08541-6000
Phone: (609) 771-7670 or (866) 473-4373
Fax: (610) 290-8975
E-mail: Click for online form
Educational Testing Service
P.O. Box 6151
Princeton, NJ 08541-6151, USA
Phone: (609) 771-7100 or (877) 863-3546
Fax: (610) 290-8972
E-mail: Click for online form
For test centers and frequently asked questions, or to inquire further, please see the contact page at http://ielts.org.