John Lubker 51k jpgJohn Lubker, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and designated Graduate School ombudsperson. 574-631-5778

Dr. John Lubker serves as the associate dean for academic affairs. He is also the Graduate School's designated ombudsperson, a role that he has held since 2011.

The Graduate School’s ombudsperson assists graduate students and post-doctoral scholars in resolving a wide range of concerns, problems, and conflicts. The ombudsperson provides a confidential* place for individuals to express concerns, identify steps towards problem resolution, and makes referrals to appropriate campus resources.

*The ombudsperson is a mandatory reporter regarding any sexual or discriminatory harassment concerns.

The Ombudsperson Can:

  • Listen to you, discuss your concerns, and help you obtain information

  • Identify options in resolving problems and conflicts

  • Answer your questions or refer you to someone who can

  • Explain how University policies and procedures work

  • Help you advocate for the mentoring you desire

  • Coach you on how to handle a problem situation

  • Refer you to the appropriate office should you wish to file a formal complaint

  • Provide guidance to resolve a problem informally

The Ombudsperson Does Not:

  • Provide legal advice

  • Determine guilt of any party in dispute

  • Testify in or participate in formal grievance or legal proceedings with respect to confidential communication

  • Conduct formal investigations

  • Keep records of conversations

Examples of Services Provided:

  • Discuss how to approach a peer who has made an offensive or insensitive comment

  • Help resolve a dispute with an individual or group

  • Assist in deciding how to approach a person who you believe is causing a problem

  • Help if you feel that you have been treated unfairly by anyone on campus

  • Assist when you are uncertain about how University policies and procedures apply to your situation

  • Help you determine which University department or office is appropriate to assist you in handling your problem

  • Mediate among parties to resolve a concern

If you need to get in touch with Dr. Lubker, please contact him at or call 574-631-5778.