Office of Grants and Fellowships
The Graduate School has a proven track record of empowering students to win internal and nationally competitive funding to further support research and professional development endeavors. The Office of Grants and Fellowships helps students identify potential supplemental funding sources and develop competitive applications. Our multidisciplinary support team guides students through the application process, training them to distill their research and communicate its significance to a wide audience.
News and Events
The Office of Grants and Fellowships offers more than 60 events every year and more than 2500 individual consultations to support graduate students in their pursuit of competitive funding opportunities. Workshops, lecture-based information sessions, round table discussions, and one-on-one support provide small, medium, and large settings for fellowships work. Topics address opportunities and skills relevant to specialists in Humanities, Social Sciences, and STEM fields, from Master's level to PhD completion. View our list of upcoming events to find the best fit for you!
Funding and Award Opportunities
External funding is given by societies, foundations, government agencies, and other entities, and is open to scholars from any institution who are eligible under that funding agency's criteria. Otherwise known as nationally competitive awards, external funding is a way to position yourself as a leading scholar in your field, whether you are just beginning your graduate career, are in dissertation research and writing, or are close to the end of your degree and exploring career options. Explore external opportunities here.
Grant Writing Resources
- Self-Directed Tutorials for major fellowships on Sakai (email email@example.com to request access)
- Successful application essays from Notre Dame fellowship winners hosted on Box (email firstname.lastname@example.org to request access)
- Personalized, one-on-one consultations with our multidisciplinary Grants and Fellowships team
- External fellowships databases provided through Graduate School subscriptions: Pivot and H-Net
- Curated lists of awards specific to Notre Dame graduate students based on areas of study, eligibility, and other criteria
Visit the Grants and Fellowships team page to meet our consultants and schedule an appointment.
A grant winner with a message for students who feel unqualified to apply for prestigious opportunities
An engineer and non-native English speaker learns to craft a compelling narrative
Sacred Music (Conducting)
A choral specialist travels coast to coast to advance his conducting expertise